Saturday, January 31, 2009

Saya developer's meeting #4 (2009-01-30) chat log


* rick_777 has changed the topic to: meeting tonight at 8PM
* nekohayo has joined #saya-dev
* rick_777 gives channel operator status to nekohayo
<rick_777> :)
<rick_777> oops wrong window
* Rigoberto__ has joined #saya-dev
<Rigoberto__> good evening
<Rigoberto__> sorry I'm late
<rick_777> Ok
<rick_777> brb
<Rigoberto__> Hi Jeff
<nekohayo> hello there
<Rigoberto__> what's up?
<rick_777> Ok, let's officially open the meeting
<Rigoberto__> cool
<rick_777> all agree?
<Rigoberto__> q: did you receive communication from the two new devs?
<rick_777> today, nope. But they said they would attend
<rick_777> maybe (again) there was some timezone problem :P
<rick_777> OK, so if there are no objections, the meeting is officially open.
<rick_777> *bang*
<rick_777> Now, it's been 2 months since the last meeting and a lot of things have happened
<rick_777> let me check the blog so I don't forget any.
<rick_777> There have been a lot of changes in the core
<rick_777> we have a new string class,
<rick_777> we have plans to migrate to CMake... (once I get Qt working)
<rick_777> the playback framework is almost working...
<rick_777> more core advances...
<rick_777> http://saya-dev.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html
* LubomirD has joined #saya-dev
<rick_777> WELCOME!
<LubomirD> Hello to all am I late?
<Rigoberto__> Howdy
<rick_777> yes, but the other developer was late too :P
<rick_777> so we started 10 mins ago
<rick_777> Alright, before we start talking about you, let me give again a summary of events that happened during December and January
<rick_777> http://saya-dev.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html
<rick_777> * New lightweight string class
<rick_777> * Migration to CMake proposed (still pending)
<rick_777> * Playback framework nearly finished - but stalled for the Qt conversion
<LubomirD> Ok great
<rick_777> * Qt conversion about halfway done :)
<Rigoberto__> halfway?
<rick_777> it's a rough approximation
<Rigoberto__> you did come up with an estimate!
<rick_777> +/- 50% :P
<Rigoberto__> cool
<rick_777> actually it might be around 30 or 40
<rick_777> but that's better than nothing :)
<LubomirD> yes of course :)
<Rigoberto__> I believe percentages doesn't work for software
<rick_777> i believe that, too, but the public needs an estimated figure ;-)
<Rigoberto__> but this is dev meeting ;p
<rick_777> at least the welcome dialog and the main menu have been converted
<Rigoberto__> what's left?
<rick_777> everything else
<rick_777> re-do the playback controls
<rick_777> implement the menu events
<rick_777> implement the menu items disabling on-request
<rick_777> and everything else that I hadn't done yet while in wx
<Rigoberto__> k
<rick_777> *AHEM* going back to the events
<rick_777> two people offered to join,
<rick_777> Lubomir,
<rick_777> and ...
<Rigoberto__> (papers noise)
<rick_777> Alexandru Tirdea, who I assume couldn't attend the meeting
* LubomirD_ has joined #saya-dev
<rick_777> whoa
<rick_777> what happened
* rick_777 has kicked LubomirD from #saya-dev (rick_777)
<rick_777> hello?
<rick_777> Did you get disconnected?
<LubomirD_> yes i am here
<rick_777> ok
<LubomirD_> No
<LubomirD_> I dont know wha thappened
<rick_777> Just be careful
<LubomirD_> yes
<rick_777> you don't want to get cloned and banned by the irc server on accident
<rick_777> try to keep only one window open
<LubomirD_> ok
<rick_777> Also, since it's already 9PM, the time for the people who were about to be kicked has expired.
<rick_777> Say goodbye to Javier Galicia and AbsoluteDestiny
<rick_777> total contributions to the project: Zero
<LubomirD_> so we start
<rick_777> Out with the old, in with the new.
<rick_777> Lubomir, what time is it there?
<LubomirD_> 4.00 AM
<Rigoberto__> Slovakia?
<LubomirD_> Yes :)
<rick_777> wow
<rick_777> you really put a lot of effort in there. That shows commitment
<Rigoberto__> we should definitely reschedule the meetings for morning america afernoon europe
<LubomirD_> Thats the reason I am late... I am sorry I was sleeping too much
<rick_777> maybe we'll move the next meetings to 9PM, is that ok?
<Rigoberto__> what about 10AM on saturday?
<rick_777> that'll give you an additional hour to sleep
<rick_777> 10AM?
<Rigoberto__> 10AM Central
<Rigoberto__> GMT -6
<rick_777> How about 11?
<rick_777> at 10 I'm usually eating breakfast :P
<LubomirD_> And to me it will be?
<rick_777> 6PM
<rick_777> you're 7 hours ahead of us
<Rigoberto__> GMT + 1
<LubomirD_> Aha, It would be ok
<Rigoberto__> is that ok with you Jeff?
>nekohayo< CTCP PING
* Ping reply from nekohayo: ? second(s)
<rick_777> Ok while Jeff responds, tell us more about yourself, Lubomir
<nekohayo> you need to mention my nickname, otherwise xchat doesn't notify me of messages
<rick_777> Oh
<rick_777> ok
* nekohayo reads
<rick_777> so, are you Ok with 11AM saturdays?
<nekohayo> what timezone?
<rick_777> yours
<rick_777> no wait
<rick_777> mine
<rick_777> 11AM CDT
<Rigoberto__> correct
<nekohayo> yeah, no prob I guess, I get up at 6-7
<rick_777> perfect.
<rick_777> New meetings will take place 11AM on the saturdays after the last friday of the month
<LubomirD_> Great
<rick_777> (yes that sounds complicated but please bear with me)
<nekohayo> I'd rely on you to update the google calendar for that :)
<rick_777> ow, my weakness
<nekohayo> so that it shows up on my calendar ;)
<rick_777> Ok. I'll try
<rick_777> remind me to update the calendar if I forget
<Rigoberto__> or an email to the list?
<rick_777> ^^;
<rick_777> yeah that works, too :)
<LubomirD_> :)
<rick_777> Lubomir, are you on the list already?
<nekohayo> you do know that you can set recurring events, right?
<LubomirD_> Yes I am
<LubomirD_> I am on the list
<rick_777> I deleted Javier Galicia now that I was there
<rick_777> hey, Alexander also joined the list
<rick_777> :)
<rick_777> maybe next meeting we'll see him
<rick_777> So, Lubomir
<Rigoberto__> why don't you set up the recurring event for the meetings now?
<rick_777> eh?
<Rigoberto__> I'm looking at the calendar now
<rick_777> Oh
<rick_777> I'll set up one
<rick_777> thanks for the info
<LubomirD_> So I am 25 years old
<LubomirD_> I am a professional Java programmer at Accenture
<rick_777> yes, tell us more about yourself
<LubomirD_> I've been working there for 2,5 years right nnow
<Rigoberto__> I used to work for Andersen Consulting (Accenture's former name)
<LubomirD_> Yes? That was pretty long time ago, not?
<Rigoberto__> Yeah! 1998-1999
<rick_777> ok
<LubomirD_> ... and I have also some little experience with C++
<rick_777> great, tell us more about it
<LubomirD_> I am programming some little home projects to learn more about C++
<rick_777> cool
<LubomirD_> and I made a little game for school project
<rick_777> Okay. Now, let's do this. Try to make some GUI projects using Qt.
<rick_777> and Code::Blocks IDE.
<rick_777> most of the work we'll do at Saya (after dealing with the codec / encoding stuff) will be the UI
<LubomirD_> Ok, I am learning Qt from the book about Qt 4 so I have no problem with it
<rick_777> so we need people to work on the timeline, buttons, controls, and all that
<rick_777> great! :)
<rick_777> Well, for now that's all you need to do because I still haven't finished the Qt conversion
<rick_777> and until I get things clear, I'm afraid I can't give directions for now
<rick_777> if we were in the military, the order would be "regroup!"
<rick_777> :)
<LubomirD_> :)
<Rigoberto__> lol
<rick_777> Hopefully I can have the conversion finished by the next meeting.
<LubomirD_> Do you have some ideas about how it should look?
<rick_777> Have you seen the screenshots on the website?
<rick_777> Nearly Identical, but with Qt :)
<LubomirD_> Yes
<LubomirD_> Ok, I will start with it
<rick_777> eh?
<nekohayo> rick_777: another advantage of using a decentralized VCS
<nekohayo> is that you could do all your QT switch stuff in a special branch, while others work in parallel on the core or whatever
<rick_777> Lubomir: I just hope you didn't misinterpret me. I meant: Work on personal "hello world" projects for now
<rick_777> until I get the main project fully working on Qt. Then you'll join and fix bugs / add features
<LubomirD_> And do you want the GUI to be made in Qt designer or handcoded?
<Rigoberto__> Jeff's raised and interesting point
<rick_777> You can try both... I'm designing the main window using the Qt designer.
<LubomirD_> Ok, thanks
<rick_777> Ok, so I guess the Qt conversion topic gets settled for now.
<rick_777> As Lubomir's joining.
<rick_777> You're now officially a member of the team. Welcome! :D
<rick_777> Now, onto Jeff's suggestion.
<LubomirD_> Thank You!
<rick_777> Using a decentralized version control system.
<rick_777> I like the idea, but I don't want to try out too much new stuff at the same time.
<Rigoberto__> Lubomir: Don't forget to send Rick you profile
<rick_777> I'm having a hard enough time with Qt already
<LubomirD_> ok I will
<Rigoberto__> Lubomir: is Lubomir your name or nick?
<rick_777> After the conversion's finished, we can discuss the usage of a DVCS.
<LubomirD_> name
<rick_777> Ok
<Rigoberto__> k
<rick_777> e-mail me your profile so I can add you to the webpage
<rick_777> Also, I'll need you
<rick_777> to get a sourceforge account
<rick_777> and a berlios account
<rick_777> the sourceforge account is for public relations
<rick_777> the berlios will be for submitting patches and commits, etc.
<LubomirD_> Ok, I understand, I will handle it
<rick_777> Ok.
<Rigoberto__> Rick: but I guess Jeff's point has to do progress management
<rick_777> Let's see... what's next?
<rick_777> Oh yeah. Lubomir, were you the one I asked about the project's mascot?
<LubomirD_> Yes I already asked my friends, I am waiting for their reply
<nekohayo> rick_777: so you're saying we should wait for a long work in progress to be finished before actually using a tool that allows you to manage just that?
<nekohayo> (see the irony?)
<LubomirD_> They are good experienced manga drawers
<rick_777> nekohayo: Yes, I can see the irony...
<rick_777> I'll try to be fast...
<rick_777> Ok, tell you what. I'll begin studying DVCS tools, but I don't promise anything quick.
<rick_777> Also, the job's been keeping me offline and tired
<Rigoberto__> I've done branches in clearcase and tfs
<Rigoberto__> no subversion tough
<rick_777> hmmmmmmmm
<LubomirD_> I understand that, I have also much work
<nekohayo> subversion is madness for branches and such, it is not a decentralized VCS
<nekohayo> it's in a completely different league
<rick_777> Ok.
<rick_777> So, in summary:
<rick_777> * Lubomir will work on learning Qt
<rick_777> * I'll work on finish adapting the code to Qt
<rick_777> AND learn a DVCS.
<rick_777> * Rigo will help me with the video playback controls (this time in Qt)
<rick_777> while Jeff.... keeps giving suggestions and feedback ^^;
<rick_777> which is no small feat, of course.
<rick_777> I guess that concludes our meeting. Anything else?
<Rigoberto__> one comment
<rick_777> Please share.
<Rigoberto__> or suggestion
<Rigoberto__> Mac release a new version of their video editor
<Rigoberto__> released
<rick_777> Oh
<Rigoberto__> since UI is top priority for Saya
<nekohayo> imovie?
<rick_777> we should copy it
<rick_777> right?
<Rigoberto__> I saw some pictures of it. It looks very user friendly
<rick_777> excellent!
<rick_777> Ok, Rigo, this is your new task: Collect ALL the information you can get on iMovie
<Rigoberto__> I don't remember the name
<rick_777> or whatever it's called
<Rigoberto__> k
<rick_777> video links, screenshots, tutorials, papers, etc.
<Rigoberto__> :)
<rick_777> and we'll post it on the "research" section.
<Rigoberto__> cool
<rick_777> Anything else, guys?
<Rigoberto__> did you decide what to do with the first donation?
<rick_777> oh - no, I haven't decided yet.
<rick_777> I guess it's still there, sitting as a "symbolic" donation
<rick_777> :P
<LubomirD_> :)
<Rigoberto__> so what about Alexandru?
<rick_777> Do you suggest me to donate it to the FSF?
<rick_777> Alexandru hasn't answered yet. But I have the feeling we'll hear about him... soon.
<Rigoberto__> since we need developers so badly
<rick_777> yes, we do
<Rigoberto__> I suggest we use it to hire a few programmer hours
<rick_777> i doubt $10 dollars will be of any use
<Rigoberto__> so what do you know about the donator?
<rick_777> he makes Anime Music Videos. Made one for AMV Hell 3 (or 4) i think.
<Rigoberto__> Interesting
<rick_777> Yeah. Anything else?
<rick_777> questions, doubts, suggestions
<LubomirD_> one comment...
<nekohayo> hiring programmers with that donation: *facepalm.jpg*
<rick_777> Lubomir?
<LubomirD_> did you see the Qt developer?
<Rigoberto__> I've heard in India a programmer makes 1000 bugs a year
<Rigoberto__> through some classes specs at elance
<Rigoberto__> just tought could work
<nekohayo> you'd have more luck buying a python book for working on pitivi or a cup of coffee to work on kdenlive, if you depend on that
<rick_777> Lubomir: Which Qt developer?
<LubomirD_> Sorry -Qt Creator - you can code in it and it has integrated Qt designer
<rick_777> Hmmmmm
<LubomirD_> It is in beta relase, but it will befinished and open source soon
<rick_777> Well, I don't want to rely on a specific software
<LubomirD_> Ok
<rick_777> Also, I'm not very fond of Qt's approach (preprocessing files before compiling them).
<rick_777> I like to have 100% C/C++ so I can modify it.
<LubomirD_> I understand
<rick_777> but use what makes you feel most comfortable (note: You'll end up having to use CodeBlocks, since it's our official tool)
<LubomirD_> Yes, I am programming most time in Code Blocks :)
<rick_777> but well, that's what programming is: Learning :)
<rick_777> Ok. I guess that's the last question for today.
<LubomirD_> yes :)
<rick_777> And guess what, it's an hour since the meeting was started.
<rick_777> So this meeting is officially closed.
<rick_777> *bang*
<LubomirD_> Good bye!
<Rigoberto__> bye bye

No comments: